Question? Belt Tightness & Autorotations With A Mini P

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by mr_squiggle, Dec 13, 2015.

By mr_squiggle on Dec 13, 2015 at 7:57 PM
  1. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Got my first Mini P up & going (it's a stretch 6S version bought second hand) & have a few questions for the knowledgeable ones out there:
    • I set the belt tension as per the manual. Spinning the head by hand (as if in an auto) on the bench & it seems pretty stiff. Give it a flick with blades on & it goes about one turn type stiff.
    • On an old Align 450 Pro if I hit throttle hold it used to spin for a while, but the Mini P stops pretty damn quick.
    Is this right, or should I be looking to either back off the belt tension a bit or check the one way in the pinion?

Any other tips & tricks I should know about?

Comments

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by mr_squiggle, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

You want to set it so it is so loose that it barely grips.... It will be fine... I promise!

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Dont listen to @Crash Heligod for heligodsake. The best way to set the belt is to keep the tension as loose as possible (when the belt is new) with out the belt slipping when perfroming the following. Grab the tail rotor with your hand and grab the main rotor with the other. Now twist the main rotor applying just moderate force. The belt should not skip teeth. If it does skip teeth it is too lose. if its too tight you will loose power. I used to run it so it would turn about 2 to 3 times after spinning the main rotor fast with my hand. As the belt gets older you may require more tension. But using a stock 6s motor it should not be a problem. If you are using the xnova, you will need to tighten the belt every 30 or so flights of hard smak and run the belt tighter. It is a great helicopter once you understand it.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

If anyone knows how to make a belt last under hard use, it's @smakmeharder . :cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    4. mr_squiggle

Thanks @smackers, much appreciated.

Citizen #186

5. mr_squiggle

Ooh your a bugger.....,,

Citizen #186

6. smakmeharder

@Radar used to actually auto the Mini protos.... And @The Dude used to as well. Radar would come screaming down field hit throttle hold and flare at the last minute. It took alot of skill to execute this move on the miniprotos.

@The Dude used to kill the throttle about 50 meters out from landing... then at the last minute he woud flare and nail it pretty much ever time.

7. mr_squiggle

Legends! Now I have something to aspire to, thanks!

Citizen #186

8. smakmeharder

The minip is such a fun helicopter. The one thing you want to change on it is the plastic tail slider.... if there is one upgrade to do, this is the upgrade. The standard tail slider will flex on hard maneuvers. It makes a BIG difference. And the other thing is the blades. Run 365s if you can... Makes a big difference in pop!

9. mr_squiggle

Luckily I have the full Lynx tail setup, so happy days on the tail!
      The mains are MSH 350's. What's the main blade of choice?
      I'm still mucking around with the TracX fbl and the headspeed. Any sweet spots?

Citizen #186

10. smakmeharder

11. mr_squiggle

Thanks @smackers

Citizen #186

12. smakmeharder

I found the sweet spot re rpm to be a 15tooth pinion - 3400-3600 rmp. You could go 14 tooth if you wanted it a bit tamer. Dont go less than 14 tooth because there is too much stress on the pinion for hard smak and the pinion can split (or it did with me). That will give you a nice poppy machine. I also used to use aspec nano 1300 mah batteries. They actually worked really well. I flogged the shiz out of them. Also use Ec5 for the battery connectors... the only way to go...

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    13. mr_squiggle

I'm currently running a 16 tooth pinion which seems ok, but should I give the 15 tooth a go with the standard 1300kv 6S motor? 3400rpm sounds like fun!
      What's the ideal Xnova motor & will the standard ESC cope?
      The heli came with some 1300ma a spec nano batteries so that's great news that they're a good thing. Might have to change the EC3 though...

Citizen #186

14. Finky

Finky Member

great video of radar flying the mini p.

15. smakmeharder

How awesome is that video.... Yep @Radar is a good pilot thats for sure...

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

All things being generally similar on most helis, It would be safe to say your belt tensioning method would apply to almost any belt-drive heli.....right?

17. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Is a belt getting tighter during a flight from the heat? - I allways have a klicking noise on my 570 after the flights. Seems to come from the tail belt or horizontal tail pulley when spooling down. Sounds like overtightened. As it cools down and I turn the rotor fast by hand the noise is gone. Does anybody know?

Kind regards