Question? Hyperion Charge/discharge Cycle Damages Packs Under Default?

Discussion in 'Batterys' started by smakmeharder, Jul 27, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Jul 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I put some new batteries on cycle charge under the default settings for the 720i hyperion charger Charge/Discharge and set it for 4 cycles. This is the first time I had ever done this. The discharge current was also set at default for the battery (only very low) and the intention was to break the batteries in as they were new. Here is the kicker. It was taking ages for the discharge cycle so I scrolled through the hyperion display and saw the battery voltage as 3.1 volts! . Boy was I distressed, immediately took them off the cycle and then put them on standard slow charge.

Looking at the manual, it states that the dis charge voltage can be set - but don't set it too low otherwise damage to the battery could result. Well I did not set it, it was left at default.

Now my question is why would Hyperion have default settings such that it is way below recommended discharge settings for the battery. Or is because the battery is not under load being discharged to 3.1v ok?. There were no warnings, nothing - just a regular charge/discharge cycle.

All cells came up to 4.2 volt and resistance seems ok but I am still bewildered and wondered if I have damaged the packs.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

Comments

Discussion in 'Batterys' started by smakmeharder, Jul 27, 2014.

1. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

I've never been game to let a battery discharge to 3.1v even though I've got the same charger as you. Might be time to ask Hyperion a question about it. Everything else about the charger is faultless when on default settings so there must be a reason for it.

Citizen #186

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Thanks @mr_squiggle . I think - and I may be wrong - that under a charge - discharge cycle the voltage cycles lower than under flying use because there is effectively no load and the voltage is predictable. For example if you were flying your helicopter at 3.5 volt, and you were loading the head, the voltage drop due to the load would push it effectively much less than 3 volts. So when you measure your packs, they bounce back to say 3.4 volts which would be a problem under load but not under no load. I have been doing a bit of reading and that's what I have come up with so far. The Packs seem to be ok resistance and voltage wise but time will tell.

3. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

They should be ok... you were right on the edge.. I usually use the storage charge option to discharge the packs when breaking them in as it takes it to about 3.8 v per cell...

4. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

That's what I have been doing too. Charge to full voltage at 1C then discharge at 1C to storage charge. Repeat for three times. Go fly & shorten the flight times for another three cycles. Seems to work ok.

Citizen #186