Buying Tx Overseas

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Chopp, Dec 13, 2014.

By Chopp on Dec 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM
  1. Chopp

Chopp New Member

Is it ok to buy a tx overseas or do you still need the ctick.

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Chopp, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Mark Mickels

Mark Mickels Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. What is a "ctick"?

2. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Pretty sure its okay now maaa have relaxed a bit but you better check with your club

3. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Just remember if anything goes wrong you will have to pay to repair or send it back overseas... I know futaba in Australia will only warranty those units purchase in Australia

4. NevErSn0w

NevErSn0w Active Member

also just remember by the time you add the shipping onto purchase price and convert it to AUD the cost may come out to the same, if not more!! depending on the places that stock the radio in Aus you might even be able to ring them up and ask for a better price?

5. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Ok CTICK is an identification trademark registered to the Australian Communications Media Authority. It means that the labeled device is compliant with transmission and electromagnetic requirements. If you buy a transmitter such as a spektrum or futaba or any other of the brand names you can be pretty confident that if it sells locally, the overseas version will be pretty much identical and meet the CTICK if its labeled as such in AU.

However it should be noted that Australian Legislation states its illegal to operate radio communication equipment such as vhf radios and automatic identification devices without ctick and 10,000 dollar fines can be enforced.

If the device or radio is CE compliant (ie it has a CE mark) then the device meets even stricter guidelines than Ctick but get this.. It still must have ctick approval to be sold in AU... what a crock of legislative bull. Only a revenue raiser as far as i am concerned.

6. Chopp

Chopp New Member

Yeah I did a pre order for one in aus and now its been pushed back again ( total 3 months ive waited now) thats the only reason I was going to get one overseas. I cant wait much longer

7. smakmeharder

If its the same model as the one in AUS , i believe it would have the same ratings.....

8. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

As long as it has a fcc id it complies . Same testing it performed to achieve that rating. Given our small market the cost of getting a product ctick maaa has relaxed the rules . N.B. it is up to you to prove the tx / rx etc meets this standard

9. smakmeharder

Nice info ScottE. Sounds like you may have had some experience with the R.I `s at one time or another..

10. Chopp

Chopp New Member

Cheers for the info. I will compare the price and if its similar I might try and get a cheap second hand until they come in to stock