Question? Destroy Your Business

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by flybar, Sep 9, 2014.

By flybar on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  1. flybar

flybar New Member

How's this for a "How to piss off (potential)customers" guide:

I needed a small part for my DJI 550 project. There were only 1 or 2 retailers in Aus (plenty O/S) that had it and it was only $12 so I thought I'd buy locally (Aust) to get it quicker.

I hadn't bought from either store so it was a good opportunity to try a new store. I only order a small item from a new store to test service and delivery etc.

Makes sense to me not to spend much till you've tested the water so to speak.

Anyway, got to the checkout screen and got a message telling me that I needed a subtotal spend of at least $20 to continue! I half expected this to be an

error but cancelled my order and e-mailed them asking if they were serious. I told them I could spend my $$ elsewhere if they were.

Got a reply today -

"Thank you for your wonderful e-mail, I am sure you feel much better now.

In answer to your question yes we are serious

You are more than welcome to go and spend your huge amount of money elsewhere & we will get on with supporting those that support us.

Kind Regards
    Darren

MAS. Hobbies
    Shop 11/386 Wanneroo Road
    Balcatta
    W.A. 6061 "

Take in to consideration I was trying to buy from them, to become a new customer!!

No attempt to explain how they came about the figure of $20. Never seen that before but I consider this an incredibly arrogant and short sighted approach, and a classic example of the "picking the low hanging fruit" attitude of some aust retailers. This mob aren't sponsors but please for those that ARE sponsors, don't go down this path.

I have made numerous small value purchases over the last few months from various stores in Aust. Sometimes postage was more than the item but businesses still sold to me.

I won't shed a tear when this business fails. I'm actually laughing pretty hard about this clown's response.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by flybar, Sep 9, 2014.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

It's disappointing.. I mean if you come in to buy something small over the counter would they tell you to go away?

No.. your paying for shipping.. can be done in down time.. it's a silly way to do business

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    2. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

We would never let you guys down if you required any of our specialty parts/ stock. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I think a shop might have a policy, fair enough, don't use them. You have highlighted their policy here, more power to you'
      Simon
      ps (I won't use them - if the orders less than 20)

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Wow... what a reply! thats encouraging repeat business!

5. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

There is a google review page and one person has given him 5 stars! The reviewers name is James Dean

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

sounds like BS to me...
      Simon

7. simon

simon Well-Known Member

"A Rebel Without a Clue"
      Simon

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    8. Captain

Captain Active Member

This is insanity. What a dip shirt. If I caught an employee refusing to take money no matter how small. They would be walking out the door. I can understand EFT limits But this ridiculous.
      My business strategy is to make it as easy as possible for people to put money IN my account & as difficult as possible for anyone other than me to get it OUT.

9. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

Just curious @flybar what was the email that you sent to them, how was it worded.. can we see it ? Not defending them, I think no matter what they should not have been so rude.. But i wonder what your email was to them to make them respond in this manner

10. simon

simon Well-Known Member

what about the customer is always right @Adolf ?
      simon

11. Captain

Captain Active Member

I think it's obvious he was pissed off & probably expressed that.
      The fact that they responded with nothing but a smart ass reply & not a helpful or sympathetic response is the issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    12. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

@Captain I totally agree as I'm sure Adolf would. I get the feeling that the business is circling the drain perhaps.. and this is more a stress response of the pressure of going out of business more than anything else. Still it's not called for all the same, They could have risen above and treated the matter better. but hey.. it is what it is, I wont buy from them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    13. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

I am truly disappointed with the response some have given here on this forum. I guess we are lucky that mob lynching is no more. I am neither for nor against either party in the dispute or misunderstanding. I have no knowledge of the content of the email sent to this hobby shop and the possibly that the response is taken out of context. I am only aware that recently the respondent of the above shops “mother has passed away.” As is stated in the checkout process the minimum online purchase is $20. I think the matter should have been left there if it was deemed to be unsatisfactory to the buyer. I personally have and will continue to pay many times the price for a particular product should I desperately need it. A clear example is a common part for out of business product like MA for instance. Yes possibly the response buy the shop owner could have been worded better but in light of the above fact “” this could have had some impact on the reply. To judge and make a conclusion from the first post is simply not FAIR!
      PS. If someone tells you something about somebody ,don’t be so quick to believe or make judgement unless you have heard the others view!

14. flybar

flybar New Member

Adolf (seriously...Adolf?), you raise a good point about the original e-mail. I posted this thread on another forum too and this is the follow up post I made over there which includes the original e-mail. I might add that I responded to the store explaining my process of buying small to test service and delivery. I told them they failed miserably and their response was arrogant and short sighted. Strong words perhaps but I think they are accurate. I note that these are not abusive words and not aimed at an individual at any time, rather the business. The response I got essentially stated that my behaviour was bad, my comments rude, they had not failed but I had because I was missing out on excellent service from their staff (??) and I was asked not to use the web site again!

I won't be continuing the exchange with this store. Its of no further interest to me.

As posted on the other forum:

Some interesting responses here and its good to know the majority understand where I’m coming from.
      MadBird, good point raising the original e-mail. In fairness that should have been included. Here it is:

Hi I just tried to order an item from your store. I received the following message when I tried to check out and pay for it.
      Are you seriously advising that you will not allow customers to spend less than $20??
      Seems to be so, which is quite unbelievable.

Notice
      To continue checkout process your order subtotal must exceed $20.00

Thought I’d try a new store but plenty of other places to spend my $$
      Regards,
      Mike

I don’t consider that to be hostile or rude. It was written more out of surprise at the policy (if it was a policy). It’s a simple fact that there a plenty of other places to buy stuff. Remember I wasn’t criticising the price or the postage cost. I was just trying to buy something small and it was a good opportunity trial a new store/supplier.

Heraldo – Ease up. I’m fully aware it fits in the “3rd world problem” category, if even that. Its actually not a problem for me at all. I went elsewhere. As far as being sick of $5 orders, its not my job to take that into consideration. They’re paying for an internet site, I found it and decided to try it out using the same method I always use, buy something small and see how it goes. I have spent plenty at some of our site sponsors, all starting with almost worthless original orders.
      The message I was expressing was that this is NOT how to attract customers! If people are offended because I am putting that out there then that becomes their problem.
      It wasn’t my original thought process to “Shame” anyone, it was just an opinion. I can tell you though that if I was running a business (and I have), and used that approach on a prospective customer I wouldn’t be proud of the effort.

Heliguychris – I appreciate that you are a close friend. Thank you for advising me of what would be a real tragedy for anyone, losing a loved one. Obviously I had no way of knowing that and I offer my condolences to Darren and his family.
      Unfortunately we all have issues, stresses and tragedies in our lives at various times. Perhaps if consistently small sales is becoming an issue for this store a simple proforma response would be in order for e-mail enquiries and perhaps a better explanation on the site. That way the emotion is taken out of the equation and the business comes across as professional. Again, just an opinion.

If I had received a response to that effect my opinion would not have changed but I would have just moved on. Life is too short. I just felt in this case the response was so extraordinary that it was worth sharing. That’s what we do on forums.

Anyway, that’s it. If you shop there and like it, great. If you’re a site sponsor you’ve just had a bit of insight into the thinking of just a few in the hobby that spend money, and not always “Huge” amounts. I can tell you the most recent $2000+ I have spent on my DJI550 project has all gone to stores that I have previously bought small items from and ticked off as reliable on my preferred retailers list.

Just out of curiosity, just how big an issue is this with our site sponsors? When you get small orders from new customers, is my thought process the same as yours or is it just a hassle?

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.