Do Do

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Fredo, Aug 15, 2014.

By Fredo on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  1. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Nick Name Do Do
    While the forum is a little quiet I have a “true” story to tell.
    Several months ago a well-dressed man came to my shop to purchase some set up tools for his new heli. He had purchased a JR Vorsa 450. He told me he has assembled it according to the manual paying strict attention to the linkage lengths in the instructions. After a short time I told him that it was unnecessary to purchase things like swash leveller and pitch gauge as I would loan these items for free provided he left me a deposit should he not return them. Mind you it was the first time I have ever seen this gentleman hence the deposit for the loan of set up tools. After explaining the initial radio set up with a linier pitch curve I explained to him to simply connect the servos to the appropriate channels in the FBL unit and before fitting the arms to the servos to push the throttle to 50% and fit the arms as humanly possible to 90 degrees to the main shaft without using trims of any kind. Then without fitting the horn screw to the servo check that the swash moves in the correct direction, e.g. left the swash moves to the left and to only initially connect one servo arm at a time so as not to get confused .With this single arm connected check that when forward or elevator input is applied that this servo makes the swash tilt to the front of the Heli. If this is not the case either reversing that channel or
    In the swash menu simply change that servo to a minus instead of a positive number if it isn’t doing all 3 inputs in the correct orientation. Once he has successfully got this servo doing all the right things apply that to the other 2 (pitch-elevator) as he has already set up the aileron. After this is completed while the throttle is still at 50% then slide hex key into the blade grip and see if the shaft of the key is parallel to the main shaft and adjust the links accordingly looking and turning the head side and front on. Now you have a level swash and zero pitch at 50% throttle and stick position. Now for the tail I told him to simply rotate the blades in the grips until the tips touch and look they look centered and then adjust the tail rod until they do. I realize that many allow a small thrust to the right but with HH tail gyros it will instantly compensate for the thrust. Anyhow these basic setting suggestions will get any heli to fly. Then it’s just a matter of checking the compensation and direction of the FBL unit to make shore it opposes the swash and tail movements. As Jr helis in their set up manual suggest various flight modes and throttle curves I told him to refer to the instructions and copy them to his transmitter. As normal I offered to him to bring the heli back to me so I can double check his set up prior to his first flight Well a couple of weeks passed and guess what he was at my field on a lovely Sunday morning assembling (forgive me a PLANK) Wow- this model was exceptional and after a small conversation he told me he designed it and had it made in a factory in China. It was as he explained a prototype version 1. After completing assembly of this model he went to his car and returned with his little JR Forza charged up the flight pack. We conversed for a short time and he told me he had vigorously spent many many hours on the sim flying helis trying to lock in his mind the various orientations and corrections required to fly these demanding models. In his words he liked the challenge. He then loaded the battery, done a pre- flight check and proceeded to the flight line ,placed the model a good 10 meters away and got up to a gentle hover, seconds later I could hear the head speed change and “OH MY GOD” it was (the heli) preforming practically every manoeuvre possible. Aproximently 5 minutes of choreography controlled flight he landed retrieved the model and calmly walked back to the pits. Well I confronted him to “explain” as I was led to believe he was a novice. He assured me that in the two weeks since I last saw him he has virtually spent the whole time practising with the model and simming well in to the early hours of the morning to achieve this result to date. In my mind I convinced myself that if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes I would not believe it to be possible in such a short time. Here’s a link to his Quiet flight taken by his shaky friend who tried to capture one of his flights.
    http://youtu.be/ZHfEnf6apGA
    If I have captured your interest I have more to tell about
    DO DO Let me know

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Fredo, Aug 15, 2014.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I looked him up on you tube and DO DO is an extreme 3d pilot who has flown for many years and has many videos on youtube. The stuff he has achieved is pretty impressive. A lot of his flying revolves around prop hangs (hovers) and complex rolling moves which would have taken quite a while to develop. Many tail slides (which is like flying a heli backwards) flips rolls etc. He would have also no doubt occasionally played with a simulator helicopter during this time. I can believe that his history of complex 3d flying (which not many can ever aspire to achieve) coupled with the occasional heli bash and eventually an intensive session of heli flying could lead to this level of flying.

On the video in the comments section he states that he was flying a month on the sticks prior to that video. So that means 2 weeks intensive sim time plus one month of flying = that video. Even with all his 3d flying on aero planes, and the sim time+flying time he quotes, it is an amazing feat no doubt about it. If all is true as quoted, DODO IS very talented.

2. feral

feral Well-Known Member

@Fredo do you remember Glen Ure from Austars Models?

He is a friend of Ido and speaks very highly of him and yourself and being a bit of a 3d planker myself I love wathing Ido's vids

3. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

@@Fredo do you remember Glen Ure from Austars Models?
      Yep

4. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Glen says gday fredo

Back on topic

Ido is a extremely talented pilot and designer.
      Pretty sure he is behind the Telink foamies
      And they are sick

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    5. ratso

ratso New Member

Never trust a man with a fetish for stuffed chickens.

6. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he is behind the Telink foamies
      And they are sick
      Agreed but for a piece of foam they are XXX expensive
      Derek at my club has one and its nearly all super glue. Still flies ok.

7. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Do Do is called Ido Segev. He is a JR pilot and and designed all the Telink models and the Segev Designs Articulate. He's from Israel and is basically the best plane flyer in australia right now.

8. Min

Min Well-Known Member

I have flown the JR forza that you built when he visited DAC and man that thing has some punch, the tail was a bit slow for my liking but everything else was perfect.
      He runs the TH switch revered though so you have to pull it towards your self to make the motor spin and put it in the neutral position to cut.

9. smakmeharder

Now looking at more videos however, one taken only 3 months ago - DO DO has not really progressed hsi f
      Hey @Min is hardcore 3d plane flying much different to 3d heli flying? Just curious.

10. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Very different. There is no gyro in a plane so the response is pure dependent on air speed and throttle position. There is also blow back so if you go too fast your controls won't deflect much. It's a lot harder than it looks.

11. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Very well said Min
      Alot of guys dont understand the 3d planes its very hard and you have to realy get to know the beast or a snap out is immanent

12. Min

Min Well-Known Member

I'll film a video today showing the differences with some simple manoeuvres

13. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Aero plane gyros are not new . There are many systems available for model aeroplanes. For example Spectrum AR635 , Graupner GR-24 pro, I-Gyro, even HK have a system although very crude has been around for years. They are not aloud in competition. But can make an average pilot look quite professional . i gyro.png

14. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Gyros will actually fight you in a lot of the 3D manoeuvres

15. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Gyros will actually fight you in a lot of the 3D manoeuvres
      True with the cheap gyros, but the better ones have accelerometers, flight phases and are infinitely adjustable. In any case most pilots think these are cheating devices. The Graupner pro will even do a heli.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    16. smakmeharder

That was truly impressive! Never seen a "jet" hang!

17. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Tareqs brother Jamal is a very good 3D Jet pilot

18. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Do Do Part Two
      By this time I gather that you have done a little research on my friend Do Do. As you can see he is a very competent Plank pilot. This also includes real planes. This should remind you that our very own “Gavin B” used to be a top F3A pilot several years ago before he became proficient in model helicopters. Well Do Do or Ido as he is called used to be a member of a local club here in Victoria right up until the time the club of which I will not name virtually banned large models and 3D flying making a club rule that an model that uses more than a 4 cell electric or 120 size motor needs a club permit by their examining instructor to fly at their field. As fate would have it because of this stupid rule they have lost at least 50 memberships this year including Do Do. Well Do Do in trying to find an alternate club to pursue his hobby visited another local club. After a brilliant exhibition of 3D flight with a 3 metre model he was promptly asked to leave and never return. Can you believe this? It’s a fact. Well a couple of weeks passed and the committee of this club tried to apologise to Do Do but you guessed it, the damage was done and he swore to himself that he would never return to this club .As you can see even the plankers can’t live and respect each- others unique disciplines. The good news for Do Do is that he is now flying at a private field and developing his own design “ARTiculate model bi-plane ” that is available worldwide .Do Do has been invited to many clubs to demonstrate his unique flying both in planks and his little JR Forza promoting this great hobby for every-ones benefit. A very nice man who is most pleasant and helpful to all that seek help. A true champion.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrde0Z5chjr5SlUHe1NNawQ

Smakmeharder has commented that Ido hasn't progressed in the last few months but I think the heli side of the hobby is simply not his passion for the time being.

19. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Its funny @Fredo the traditional boys hate 3d planks as much as they do helis.

Its sad really