Great 10 Battery Day Today.. 5 On New Zeal Blades

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Stuart, Sep 23, 2014.

By Stuart on Sep 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  1. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Was a truly great flying day today. Got 10 packs in at the field. 5 on the E5 and 5 on my TREX 500.

Interesting how much difference blades make to your setup. Just rebuilt my TREX with a nice set of red Zeal blades. First time I've tried different blades. I really like the Zeals. The heli seemed both lighter and smother in its responses.

I run CGY750 in my helis. I noticed that in my normal mode a slight aleron wobble appeared on first flight ( in hover). I thought oh no, something is not right after the rebuild.. Confidence leaving fast... I flicked up into IU1 & IU2 and it wasn't present at the higher headspeed..

I turned the aleron and elevator gains down and the wobble disappeared. Yeah.

When flying straight level parallel to the ground coming out a nose dive after a stall turn the heli did a rather aggressive porpoise. Kind of like a nose bounce.

I'm pretty sure I can tweak a parameter to get rid of that also. Will need the manual to guide that.

What was really interesting to me was the noticeable difference to flight characteristics with a different set blades. Kind of makes you want yo experiment with different types.

Why don't they advertise blades differently? Fast, slow, stable, sluggish etc?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Stuart, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

Blacklines do. They have a different CoG and chord for the various flight styles. 3D, F3C and/or speed.
      They are pricey though - but that's what happens with top of the line gear I suppose.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    2. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

Zeals are very pitchy so dialling down your pitch will help as well as your elevator precomp will keep your model smooth. I am a big fan of Zeals and look forward to their other sizes.

Price of blades do not necessarily mean higher quality though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    3. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Thanks

4. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

In the case of Blacklines, it does.

5. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Glad you like them @Stuart dial you pitch back a touch should settle it down only .5*

Im getting better performance out of the Zeals than with other brands running less pitch on my machines

6. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

Oh ok, how is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

No @feral I haven't changed anything other than the gains yet... @Jeff B said the same re pitch.

I'm not sure I understand how the pitch is impacted by different blades. I run +/-12 pitch. Are you suggesting that I should lower it to +/-11.5 and it will fly similar to my previous blades, use less power etc?

8. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Give it a try man im runnig 12.5 on my Rush 11.5 on N5c and 12 on my 500.
      With other blades it would be 13 12 13

9. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Blades can make a big difference on how the model performs and tunes... I had a similar issue when I moved from the align blades a long time ago ..

Some blades seem to grab the air harder on that initial pitch change... I know halo does that sounds like zeal are similar.. most people suggest dropping collective by .5 to 1 degree to compensate initially.. then if you want increase it again... and tune

10. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I think that to be a good judge on how good a blade is you need to be first a good pilot who has a preferred skill set - ie 3d or f3c - and have tried many different types of blades. For me personally I think blades designed for a task, ie 3d - or f3c might have that factor you are looking for because its been designed with a purpose in mind. Usually the designer has developed the blade for a purpose, in conjunction with a top level pilot.

But I know for a fact that i cant identify a good or bad blade by its visuals or design specs... ie i can only feel how it performs on a specific model and say - yes i like that - or not. But my skill set may not push the blades boundaries either or my style may be unusual. And to add to the enigma, my flying style my adjust itself around a particular type of blade!

There is so much going on.... I know that if blades are too stiff it can be an issue, the same if they are too flexible. Weight seems to have an effect on how the helicopter twists and turns (gyroscopic effect) and personally i always go for the bigger blades. Also i tend to like the blades which used to be weighted for flybar - ie they feel looser to me - but that might also just be perception as well.

I believe there are good quality and bad quality blades, i just have not tried enough to be able to really make a definitive statement.

11. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Just find the blade that suits your flying style.. at the moment I am a big fan of Rail and Halo...

12. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

It's certainly an interesting area. As a relative new pilot I concur to the notion of finding something that's comfortable to my style. I find I prefer slow and floaty. So the bigger the blade the better. That may change over hind as I grow.