Question? Quads.. I Dont Get It???

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Johnnybgoode, Feb 7, 2015.

By Johnnybgoode on Feb 7, 2015 at 2:34 PM
  1. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

I know that quads are becoming really popular and taking alot away from rc helis and rc planes. I tried flying one and within a couple of hours i was bored... BUT i did not have FPV on this thing. So my question is to all those who own quads, what is the fascination?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Johnnybgoode, Feb 7, 2015.

1. fastr1red

fastr1red New Member

I don't have one myself, but I do want one for FPV only. Here's the fascination,,,FPV flying in a ravine or mountain side. That's it, cheaper than a hang glider.
      I love my helis, but want FPV just for the above.

2. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

It's the technology that fascinates me..

Multirotors come into their own when it comes to aerial photography - that's why I have mine.

However, soon most BNF quads will be of the new 3D type - as they are just starting now with the invertix, and the CY quad.
      Soon they will all be like that (like the end of the flybar - for quads - lol) and so they will appeal to even more people as you'll be able to do very "helicopter" type
      manoeuvres with them.

3. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Ive got an Invertix 3d and a Hyper 3D on the way the invertix goes pretty hard but its a bit spongy on the "collective" hopefully the Hyper 3D is a bit quicker on the pitch

The camera quads I have absolutely zero intrest in

4. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

A 250 fpv quad is good fun to zoom around the garden or race your mates through the trees. Completely different to heli's.

Citizen #186

5. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

It comes down to how easy it is to fly... Many people become interested as they basically hover on their own.. Flick a button it comes back and lands.. No matter how you turn it round forward can still be forward... It's such an easy in to many of the things that are So difficult when flying planes and helis.. Ie landing.. Always the hardest thing to master at the start...

I like quads purely for fpv... Without that I would find them a bit boring... But a little 250 fpv that takes a beating and is awesome to fly with your mates.. I have a larger one I just take up high just to see what's up there and enjoy the view.. Basically like a scenic drive...

But I still come back to helis... Nothing beats them as far as I'm concerned...

6. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

You know @Manyc i think the FPV would be awesome. How many mp is your camera? I suppose the FPV quality will be a tossup between bandwidth availability and camera capability. I wonder what cameras the Military Grade Drones use?

7. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

They don`t do anything for me either. I flew Curtis` Stingray at OHB a couple years ago, I have flown the invert x, and I have flown a couple of Blade 350QX quads. None of them made me feel the rush I get when I put a helicopter in the air, and I got bored very quickly. I have no desire to own one, or put a camera on one and do FPV. Although the videos I have seen of FPV racing did look like it would be a blast. I think I`ll stick with my single rotor CP helicopters :)

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Quads seem like they are useful as "utility vehicles" but that's the limit of my interest.

9. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

So then i wonder if it would be true to say then that maybe the people who fly quads think thats all there are to rc helicopters and dont bother to explore any further? As a utility tool they have lots of potential @Beaver.

10. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I agree with @Geena. They dont quite do it for me at this stage. I dont know if they will ever be able to make a quad do what a rc helicopter does re-3d. An RC helicopter has a huge blade mass and i think once you start to make it CP, everthing combined will make it comparitvely heavier. Also how you manage orientation? would be harder i think because without a good visual reference the quad looks the same - front to back.

I think quads have their place - as a tool for utilities, FPV and for industry. But for a pure flying machine, an 3d RC Helicopter (and 3d Rcplane for that matter) are very very hard to beat for that ultimate adrenaline rush.

11. feral

feral Well-Known Member

I agree smakers for the adrenalin rush you cant beat a CP heli or 3D plane the invertix and Hyper make good orientation practice machines as it costs $10 to crash compared to $1000 well thats the way I see it anyway.

I did wind the endpoints to max on the invertix and it is a bit of a handfull

12. feral

feral Well-Known Member

This thing is pretty fracken insane for a quad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Looks like it's got some mad props on there..

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Paint it grey with blue rings
      Simon

15. simon

simon Well-Known Member

How much and where from @feral - I could be tempted
      Simon

16. feral

feral Well-Known Member

435 plug and fly @ Revolutionrc

17. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Ive only had the invertix Neo props to compare but the Zeals are alot stronger I managed to break 2 neo props tightening them up on the invertix

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I thought I had no interest in quads, but now I sit here watching "Avatar" and considering the possibilities on using quad parts to build a replica of one of those bigger "quad ships" in the movie. Most likely someone has already done it.