Tail Creeps Slowly Over To One Side On The Bench

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by The Dude, Sep 16, 2014.

By The Dude on Sep 16, 2014 at 10:40 PM
  1. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm pretty sure in flight it will be ok .. But i cant remember ever seeing this .. Changed a tail servo on my e700 and sitting on the bench the tail creeps all the way over to one side.

All trims are at 0, servo direction is correct and gyro direction is correct, no binding or anything and the end points are set right, also servo is centered correct.. no chance of any interference from the servo lead , as ATM it just sitting outside the heli frame.

I assume this wont really matter ?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by The Dude, Sep 16, 2014.

1. The Dude

Hhhmmm... nevermind , unplugged pack and plugged it back in now it seems fine, dunno what it was..

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Have you tried switching it off and on again (irish accent)? Was the heli spooled or static? If it was spooled it would be definitely vibes. If it was not spooled it is possibility be the remnants of a massive coronal discharge.

3. The Dude

As the topic suggests... Tail Creeps Slowly Over To One Side On The Bench, lol .. I hope it was not spooled up !! Seems to have sorted itself out now anyway

4. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Could have just been having a moment Dude

5. The Dude

Hhhhmmm... Maybe that pink frilly dress wearing nancy @Crash Heligod was looking over my shoulder and trying to cause havoc !

6. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Could be it Dude the tail servo in my rexy 500 has moments now and then

7. MadBird

MadBird Well-Known Member

I had a problem like this with a second hand vbar silver that I picked up earlier in the year. The tail would creep most times when the power was applied, but never consistently.

As this was my first vbar and it was strapped to my spanking new N7 I didn't want to risk putting her in the air and causing some carnage on the maiden, so I sent it back to mikado for peace of mind. Their conclusion was that one or some of the connections between the inner and outer portions of the mems rings in the rudder gyro had sustained damage at some stage and the sensor needed to be replaced.

In the end I'm pretty happy that I didn't just think it would sort itself out in flight as that might have ended in tears. I was also somewhat relieved that the previous owner went halves with me in the cost of the replacement sensor, but I've learned my lesson now and will never buy a second hand FBL controller again.

Sent from my Electronic Appendage!

8. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Most gyros in heading hold mode will cause the tail slider to creep almost fully to a side the moment they are disturbed even very slightly...
      This is due to the gyro trying to constantly correct the change in the heli angle from init point..

The moment the heli is disturbed after init, the gyro attempts to correct with a little bit of tail deflection, seeing the heli is now stationary on the desk it doesn't move to the tails change, thus the gyro thinks it needs more movement to compensate, and so on until the slider usually ends up near full defection.

This is normal to me.. in Heading hold mode..
      Switch the gyro to rate mode and you'll notice this doesn't happen

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014